Tuesday, July 31, 2012


As we continued north in the gulf stream aboard Farfarer, each day was marked by another exciting event, not the least of which was a pod of three orcas taking out an 8-foot tuna. The tuna launched itself a couple of meters in the air, before 3 tall fins circled its position.  It really was a National Geographic moment, as were the numerous dolphins that accompanied us on a number of occasions throughout the journey.

That evening, Frank informed us we would likely face squally weather throughout the night, and to be alert and prepared to run on deck to help whomever was on watch (with only 3 crew members, we each did our night watches alone).  It was around 1:30 AM, as I layed off-watch in my bunk, when I awoke to Will hollering Hey hey!! Hey hey!!

Assuming Will was on watch, and trying to alert Frank and I that he needed help taking-in sail, I threw my legs over the side of the bunk and grabbed my jacket.  That's when I noticed Will, standing to my left in his pyjamas, and Frank to my right, in his foul weather gear and harness, as he'd just run down below to see what all the yelling was about.  Confusion settled in deeper as Will looked at Frank and said, "I'm bored!"

Hmmm... bored? Really?

Frank didn't know what to make of it all, and said calmly and frankly, "Well, Will, I'm sure I could find something for you to do...?"

Having lived with a sleep-walker and sleep-talker for the last couple of years, I was starting to understand the scene I was witnessing.  Will declined Frank's offer, as he began to come-to, and simply responded, "I'll go back to my bunk now."  I looked at Frank, we both shrugged our shoulders, and he went back on deck as I put my head back on my pillow and went to sleep.

Will was great company and very entertaining, even when fully awake.  He had some interesting theories on women, and his charm became fully apparent as he explained how in his youth, wearing one particularly-becoming sweater helped to make him quite popular with the ladies.  And thanks to him, I now know the meaning of a lazy wind (standing frozen on deck as we sailed our final miles to Lunenburg, he declared 'This wind's so lazy, it blows right 'tru ya!')

As sunset approached on our final day at sea, we felt we were well poised for a late Saturday night arrival, but not so late as to miss last call at The Knot Pub.  It was a valiant effort on behalf of the 3 crew, and our autopilot (named Jorge), but when all was said and done, we made our final approach to Lunenburg Harbour after 3:00AM.  After close to a week of constant motion, we rafted alongside two lovely wooden boats, Samara T and Avenger, and a perfect calm settled over Farfarer.  With a bottle of English Harbour Rum, we did a toast to the sea god, the ship, her crew, and I watched as day broke over the town that always lets me go, but periodically insists on my return.